PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDI Radar
Thread: EDI Radar
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 10:37
callyoushortly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NorthSouth,

I wouldn't necessarily say any of the problems have been exacerbated by the airspace changes.
Ok there's no flexibility with descent outside the control zone below 3000ft but, then again, even when we could use 2300ft out there, you still had to be careful bringing the next one down to 3000ft because you didn't have the required 1000ft separation.
The joining final no less than D7 is only on visual approaches to 24, so I suppose this does have an impact, but not as much as the pilots flying in seem to think. Unless you're number one with not a great deal around visuals aren't a great tool for sequencing traffic.
I would say that the airspace changes make life more difficult on 06. There's less airspace that side, the 3000ft descent point is pretty much where the turn for the localiser is (unless you're being vectored wide outside 10 miles) and often (sorry 10W) the traffic comes 'hot and high' for 06 with more than enough problems getting it's height off.

A question for you pilot types: Is it more beneficial to your planning/fuel consumption/company SOP's etc to be vectored around the sky an extra 10 miles to lose height/fit the sequence or would you prefer once around the hold?