PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Japanarama
Thread: Japanarama
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2005, 10:37
glekichi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... this thread really does remind me of the claims of the JET program English teachers in Japan.

I managed to live in Japan for six years, experiencing PRACTICALLY NO RACIAL DISCRIMINATION.

Andi I worked in an industry in which I was pretty much the only foreigner around. None of my co-workers spoke any English. A majority of them had never been overseas. Those that had, had been to the US for a two-week holiday, or similar.

Somebody claimed that Japan is extremely restricted.
Couldnt be further from the truth.
In Japan... rules restrict nothing! Rather, people rely on morals... oh my god???
Example: Drinking -
The legal age may be 20, but responsible drinkers aged much younger are still allowed in pubs... They have a very valid reason to kick them out at any time if they cause any troube... but almost never have to.
Also, one of the few countries where you can still drink on a beach!!! They dont punish the responsible drinkers just becuase of a few misbehaving youger adults...

Having said that... The one thing that the Japanese people will discriminate passionately against is ignorance of the Japanese culture when in Japan. That is not a racial issue.

The other 50% of the perceived problems are language based. I am yet to meet a Japanese person (and living in Japan) who speaks English to a level in which they can communicate their emotions efficiently. I am also yet to meet a foreigner in Japan who can express their emotions efficiently.
Then again... I didnt go out of my way to meet foreigners... and they make up less than 1% of the polulation, I think.

Kaptin M>

Re: Working conditions - comparison between Japanese and
Foreign pilots

Not really fair to compare contract employees full-time employees, but I do stand to be corrected if this is not the case.
If you applied via the Japanese language website for their ab-initio scheme (which also has a clear statement that people of all nationalities will be equally considered) you would be earning just what they are. A Japanese national who trained overseas and was working through the same contract as you, would be paid the same and have the same conditions as you, correct?

Re: Burakumin and Zainichi Koreans-

There have been movements to remove the "burakumin" status entirely. Guess what... Its them who dont want it. Why would they vote to lose their subsidised housing and lower taxes?
The only dislike whatsoever towards them is based on these issues. God damn... theyre not even a different race or anything.
What defines them? The only thing defining them is govenment handouts based on bloodline.

3rd and 4th generation Koreans being not considered Japanese.... interesting again. They have every opportunity to consider themselves Japanese, just choose not to. Once again, that is basis of the only residual discrimination. Funny thing is.... did you know that a large number of them moved to Japan voluntarily, as they were able to with Korea being considered a part of Japan during the war?

AND WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE REST OF ASIA STILL GOIN ON ABOUT WWII?? GET OVER IT!!!

Live in Japan, in a non-sheltered (ie. living with other foreigners) part of Japan, and show an effort to learn their culture. It isnt all that hard... because you know what... If you show you are willing to try things their way, they will help you 100%!

Prince of Dzun>

Mate... I know Ill never be able to change your mind at all... but please.... How many Japanese people do you know???

Stop hating an entire of nation of people based on media and government sensationalizations of the actions of a few evil Japanese people during the war.

Do you think nobody else of a different nationality raped or murdered anybody?

The medias representations of "ignorant" Japanese teenagers is appauling, I agree.
Now head down to a local pub in Australia or New Zealand and see what knowledge the locals have of any Asian topics, or world war II for that matter.
Acutally... go to a Chinese restraunt at 1am and listen to all the drunk fools rubbishing the Chinese peolpe/food while they eat their fried rice.

There may be a few racist people, murderers, and rapists in Japan; ****.... there are 127 million people there.
But, can you find me a nation anywhere with less!?

Ive had similar time as an adult in Japan and in OZ/NZ... and a vast majority of any "racism" Ive seen has been in the latter two.

Enough rambling...

What has this got to do with flying anyway?