PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2005, 20:40
NT42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's more like it...

Hello again!

Turned up at the club today to be told to get lost for an hour, which was nice So off I went, a happy lad, only to end up waiting for 25 minutes to TO!!! That's the problem with an international airport, can be left waiting for a long time.

But I eventually got going, with a nice short field take off. As I climbed into circuit height and got onto the crosswind leg, I noticed a 152 (also in the circuit) taking it very, very wide (not wanting to start a debate on the size of circuits, but it really was massive!)

So I take a wider circuit too, not wanting to cause any mayhem. About a second after I do that, ATC ask me to "keep the circuit wide" - obviously spotting the problem. I called to say I was ready for downwind, and was asked to orbit before turning.

All fair enough, and I go downwind, cleared to finals and cleared to land. 2 stages of flaps and a (fairly) gentle landing.

I go around again, this time with an entirely uneventful circuit and landing with full flap.

The next circuit I end up orbiting for a long time. When I get cleared to land I get a rather frantic call from ATC asking me to go around. Didn't know what that was for - it seemed she hadn't left enough room between me and the easyjet behind me - didn't fancy having that ramming into me!

Anyway I went around for another circuit or two. Which were fine - a glide approach and flapless. On what I elected to be my last T + G I had to go around again. Not ATC's fault, but the op's 4X4 was at the other end of the runway, and I didn't think it would be off before I landed. So around I went. This time a right hand circuit and a full stop. Again, rather uneventful. 2 stages of flaps and I'm down.

Overall a bloody good lesson. Knackered, to say the least. That's the most mentally draining flight I've had before - but enjoyed it immensely.

The weather was beautifyl - 40km vis, no cloud, and still. Couldn't ask for any better!

I was up for 1H15 mins, and that's solo consolidation over! I've been given a route to sort out for saturday. Have to turn up an hour early and do everything.

This feels like a big milestone, looking forward to navigation.

Anyway cheers all and sorry to bore you!

Really enjoyed todays flight - makes you realise why you're doing it!