PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are bmi in it for the longhaul?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2005, 09:29
crazy idea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are bmi in it for the longhaul?

I have been reading with interest some of the many comments made about bmi in the last few weeks. At the same time longhaul seems to be the talk of all the other airlines, so is this the direction bmi should go in?

I see they do some bits from Manchester to the Caribbean, LAs Vegas and Chicago, plus Mumbai and Riyadh from Heathrow - and just announced Jeddah and Doha (although in conjunction with Qatar I think). And as usual there is the talk about LHR-US if it opens up.

So as everyone seems to think how bmi should be run (which I'm sure their board must find quite amusing), I thought I would ask people whether they think bmi should do longhaul for real, and if so what markets they should go in to make it work - should they compete with the big guys in Hong Kong and New York, or look at other opportunities? (Or even for that reason are there any markets Virgin should look at or BA which they don't do?)

I don't know what their plans are (I used to work for them a long time ago but only in an airport role, and left as they started Washington and Chicago from Manchester - I've done my time!) or if they will even develop longhaul, or what aircraft it would be, but lets try to make this productive instead of just having a go at everything they do - if people say that they don't know how to manage it then lets see what everyone else thinks they should do going forward.

And lets focus on what will make money (if there are any markets left for them which will) - everyone knows that Washington had a lot of people on board but they never made a penny proft from it (or so people still on the inside tell me!).

Cheers
crazy idea