PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Job Prospects
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2005, 08:55
Warrington_Minge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Sea Job Prospects

Firstly apologies for logging on as a new "anonymous" user - small industry - current job - etc.

Secondly, apologies if this thread has been flogged to death already (a redirection would be appreciated to save you the effort of replying).

It has long been my dream to join the guys on the North Sea, the reality of which began a few years ago with a 'foreign' CPL.

I'm now about to receive my results for the last set of ATPL(H) exams (did quite well in the first round so am confident of a pass in the final 5), and am going to repeat my initial contact with the North Sea operators to test the water.

However, before I put pen to paper, I would be grateful of your comments (as I know there are quite a number of seasoned North Sea pilots that read these threads) on the following points:

I have:
- "foreign" CPL(H)
- approx. 200 hours (R22, R44, H300, B47 and B206) + low flying, mountain and sling load endorsements
- assumed pass in all JAA ATPL(H)
- will be sitting my JAA CPL(H) test in the coming few weeks
- no money left for an IR(H)
- a "few" years working for a Heli org (flight ops + ususal "everything" of a smaller organisation)
- various other life skills that I can bring to the party

Questions:
- Is it a dumb move to contact all the North Sea operators at the same time, or just concentrate on 1 (I would guess that the small world grapevine is alive and well in Scotland and I don't want to appear desperate)
- Is there any substance to the rumour that "decent" new pilots (by that I mean the right character, not the right experience) are in short supply ?
- Do I really need to go to the expense (debt) of obtaining my IR before job hunting (don't know if the wife'll swallow that kind of debt - no jokes please) ?
- Do I stand a chance with only approx. 200 hours ?
- Are there any tips for interview technique ?
- Does a personal visit to back up the CV help, or just frustrate the Chief Pilots who "get hassled all the time" !?

I feel I bring the necessary bare basic skills required for the role and would relish the opportunity to learn from the experienced guys in the seat next to me, however, we all think we're wonderful and ideally suited and therefore an objective view would be of benefit.

Thank you in advance for responding - I look forward to flying with some of you in the future (all except ChopperPilot2006 - by the sounds of his North Sea thread the odd dork slips though the application process - bad luck CHC).

"Warrington"