PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Turkey
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2005, 20:45
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
It has been recommended by a couple of people here that one should just head for Turkey and start knocking on doors to get a job there. While I recognize the value of face-to-face contact, how practical is the suggestion ? I admit I'm a total novice at the expat world and know that I don't know; that's why I'm asking all of you.

I have difficulty believing one can just hop a flight to IST with a pile of resumes, start going around knocking on doors and hope to be allowed to see chief pilots. This is so far from how it's done over here that I can't see it actually working.

Here, no one gets is to see any airline HR manager or chief pilot without an invitation generated by an application or resume being emailed/faxed in advance. Any attempt to do so would only result in being stopped at the front gate by security. This would be an expensive exercise if it were a total failure.

I'd love to be able to sit down with a CP and plead my case but just can't head for IST with nothing more than high hopes.

Has this approach worked for any of you who didn't go through an agency ? Thanks.