PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not a lot of people know that... how to upset French ATC & possibly yourself!
Old 10th Dec 2005, 22:50
karrank

Mostly Harmless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Squawk Ident" used to be the standard way to identify an aircraft, but is now only a backup when there is an allocated SSR code. You only push that button when instructed to by ATC. When I fly I only push it if asked by ATC, and they haven't yet. I too have felt the almost irresistable urge to push the only button on the dashboard I'm not supposed to unless told to, but there is no advantage to pressing it at any other time. There is no need to press it at any other time of the flight, in combination with any other action or in response to any instruction other than "squawk ident."

When I have told an aircraft not answering me "Replies not recieved SQ ID" and some other spud does it instead it can be bewildering.

When I have told somebody to SQ ID and some other spud is doing so nearby there is potential for me mis-identify the aircraft being naughty as the one requesting a service, so the vectors around traffic, etc, are not going to help.

If I suspect a pair of aircraft are squawking each other's codes (has happened to me) the best way to resolve it is to get one to SQ ID. If some other spud is SQ ID without me asking the problem just gets bigger and more confusing.

You don't have to attract my attention when making an initial call to the sector, your symbol looks different to me than the ones that have already called. There is no advantage to you SQ ID when calling me.

I wouldn't personally whinge to a pilot on VHF about it, if we noticed such a trend we make an 'event report' which results in our airline contact saying to the airline "please stop doing this." And no, it does not result in a fine, as our international pr disgrace Dick Smith was bleating on the radio about this morning