PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2005, 17:48
NT42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally...

Well, the weather was very dodgy, but I finally got into the air today!

Checked the METAR and TAF, both showed good weather, so I set off. About half way to the airport I rang to check, and it was all fine so I carried on...

Got the the club, had a quick chat with the instructor about emergency situations and went to check the 'plane out.

Everything was fine, short field TO and we were flying. It became apparent very quickly that the weather wasn't going to be kind. The turbulance was the worst I've experienced since learning to fly, and we decided I wasn't going solo. Fair enough, so we came in for a touch and go, and off we went again. This time we decided to make it a full stop - the wind was very gusty and turbulance not getting any better.

After driving the 30 miles or so, I wasn't keen to go back after 20 minutes in the air, so we thought we'd go and do some navigation. So off we go again - TO was fine, standard VFR to the North, but the weather was still pretty poor.

We were going to do some more instrument flying, but elected not to with the tubulance. So it was a basic navigation lesson in the end - FI told me where to go, and I had to get there.

To be honest - simple enough. Vis was fairly good so had no real problems. Had to alter course due to the increasingly strong wind but managed to find my points.

The cloud was lower than that indicated as well so we nearly got caught a few times. Some quick altitude alteration needed, but nothing too bad!

When requesting rejoin I managed to completely balls up my RT, but never mind, we all make mistakes! And then I followed a 757 in for a rather tidy landing!

Overall a nice lesson, flighting with the controls for the majority, but I enjoyed it!

Next booking is for monday, will hopefully be doing an hour of solo circuits. If the weather allows! Then that'll be it on circuits for now!