PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shares in aircraft? good idea?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2005, 17:26
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hairyplane,

Your post just goes to show that one mans feast is another mans poison!

Almost all my flying is done on a Saturday. So 1 week in 4 would be absolutely useless to me. My ideal group was one comprising 3 people; one had the aircraft Monday to Friday (he was retired) one on Sundays and me on Saturdays. Under Hairyplane’s rule the aircraft would have done ¼ the hours than it actually managed! As it was we did 150 hours a year, which is optimal for a C of A machine.

“Have it professionally maintained regardless of cost.”

Ouch! My AA5B was costing £3800 a year in maintenance done on the above premise. All my in flight issues have been maintenance / component problems. My new PFA machine is 95% complete. Maintenance budget is £500 a year inc paperwork. I know it inside out and of I think it is not right I will not fly it.

“It helps if they can fly too but dont dismiss new PPL's. Flying aint difficult. Better to recruit somebody sensible with low experience than a high hour know it all.”

Maintenance cost is closely related to how well the aircraft is looked after and if it is flown with mechanical sympathy this will save 1000’s. This sort of person has 100+ (or even 200+) and the right attitude. It is best if people make their mistakes on other people’s aircraft.

“Oh yes. If you want to fly cheeeeep, buy a motoglider!”

Grob 109b, a gorgeous aircraft circa £42k for a pristine example.
12 litres an hour
95kts cruise
28 to 1 glide if you turn the motor off
5 minute simple wing fold

And I guess maintenance at about £3500 per year?

If you want to fly cheap go PFA

MCR-01
17 litres of Mogas
130kts cruise
100 DPS roll rate
De rigs in 10 min (keep it at home with no hangar charges)
Maintenance cost per year £500

Fly one and you will love it.

Rod1,
PS this is not intended as an attack, just an indication of different peoples approach to the same problem!