PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballooning on landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2005, 12:43
homeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landing

Landing
I'm not happy with the word 'rounding out'. It is not the best phrase when refering to a modern nose wheel aircraft. It should be noted that a typical approach angle for current aircraft types will be in the region of the standard 3 degrees. Not much of a change from that angle of approach to level flight although it may appear so. I prefer the term 'hold off' so as not to infer that a large change of attitude is required by the student. Having held off and the flight is level with the runway the aircraft begins to slow and sink and the nose should be raised further to a PRE-DETERMINED attitude.

In all other phases of flight we teach and refer to setting the correct power plus an attitude to a reference (the horizon, a cloud or a place). Why not the same for landing. i.e. Power; idle, Attitude; with reference to the far extent of the runway (if there is a hump use the top of the hump - the attitude should be demonstrated for the student pilot to repeat). They should then maintain that pitch attitude reference - as thay are already used to doing at all other times - while keeping the wings level with aileron but using rudder to maintain the centre line (that is different. Allow the aeroplane to settle onto the runway in its own time maintaining the reference but as the aircraft slows to a taxi speed following the landing gently lower the nosewheel onto the runway.

Commonly so many treat the landing as being completely different from all other phases of flight, which it is not. A common technique for those that have a phobia about the landing is to have them repeatedly not land but rather fly, with a higher power setting, level with the runway at a few feet and NOT touchdown. They will find this very difficult to do and invariably touch down. You have then made your point and their confidence should build rapidl