PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest B737 Overrun @ Chcago MDW
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2005, 08:04
XTRAHOLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be wise to wait and see what the flight crew has to report first; all this speculation about if they did or did not use the autobrakes, automatic speed break deployment, max reverse thrust, etc is all interesting but unverified till they tell their side of the story. The DFDR that is installed on the -700 (B737NG) aircraft will give the investigators an incredibly accurate picture of what happened during the approach, flare, touchdown and rollout. There will be no way to hide the facts from the NTSB nor Boeing with the technology they have in that aircraft. It interests me much more the runway condition reports of the airport authority. I have had more than once the surprise of finding out after touchdown that the braking action report we based our decision to land upon was either too old or just simply false or wildly optimistic. When operating jets into an airport with these incredibly short runways, coeffiecient of friction reports should be available for all of them, I don't know if they do that at Midway? I simpathize with the flight crew as they must be going through some incredibly hard times now that the news is out about the passing of the little boy in the car. Aircraft commanders are high tech risk managers and have to continuously assess the safety of the operation at hand, many times with incomplete information and under extreme commercial pressures to complete the flight. Let us give these guys the benefit of the doubt till all the information is out. When I dead-head home, I always use SW; they are a great airline to fly on, their pilots are good and professional and I am pretty sure that it will turn out to be the commercial pressures to keep that airport open for business under those extreme wether conditions a major causal factor in the accident.