PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Hercules was shot down - Reid
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 15:38
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m surprised to find myself saying this, but I do believe that the RAF and the MoD are to be congratulated on their handling of this very sensitive BoI. I have studied the published Findings, and both organisations seem to have made sterling efforts to publish everything they possibly could, apparently only censoring stuff that is genuinely operationally sensitive. Of course, in a free democracy, we should expect nothing less. But I have to say that their openness came as a welcome surprise to this ancient, and occasionally jaundiced, aviation observer.

I didn’t know any of the people involved, but I almost feel as if I do because I have been involved on the periphery since they died in January. Indeed, at the memorial flypast at RIAT, I was privileged to have been able to quote the very moving words of OC Lyneham. What does seem clear is that they were truly a top bunch - and I believe that the openness displayed by their Service does them and the Service nothing but credit.

We are surely all blessed to have served alongside, or been served by, such outstanding people.