PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Turkey
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 15:19
MaxBlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Working in Turkey

Hi all,

there're good outfits in Turkey. Best of all used to be Sunexpress.
Following the topic (safety standards) I unfortunately have to change my mind.

Turkey is a great country but when it comes to aviation somewhat
screwed up.

The number of airlines coming and going every year is surprisingly high - and if you look who is behind them (owns them) you'll always find the same names.

Rather small tour operators try to form an airline whereas they try to keep it as cheap as possible. Where do they safe?
Training, mx and labour costs.

Until just a few years ago there was no real flight school for civilians. That explains the high number of military pilots (still way over 90%). All management and instructor positions are filled by these guys and they have their very own way of doing things.

Why is it like this?
The CAA is playing a big role in this as well. It will have to change but also will take a couple of years.

As a military pilot you'll get into the left seat after a year of flying for an airline. As a civilian...well you can imagine!

Stay away from FLY and Onur. I know that nothing changed since they've been banned. Maybe their paperwork is in order now, but the same people are still in charge.

When it comes to websites:
Yes it is new to most of the companies and the old way would still be the best way. Go to the office, present your cv, have a cup of tea with the c/p and you might get a job. It helps when you know someone who knows someone (like in every other company).

I've been there, had a great time but have no plans to do it again for known reasons.