PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WestJet
Thread: WestJet
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 14:38
Slapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are currently the only airline in Canada and the world's first in using RNP approaches/navigation down to .1. We are acquiring data, building approaches, liaising with Transport and designing the manner in which these approaches are implemented. We are the only airline flying ILS quality approaches to non-precision airports. Kelowna is an example to runway 33.

Our aim is to use RNP for CAT I ILS approach minima to what are currently non-precision approaches. Our goal is a .01 RNP.

Transport Canada is very interested and has been on board from the beginning. They see RNP as a way to reduce their costs, offer precision approach service to many more airports, without the cost of ground based nav aids or instrumentation.

If that is not a Pioneer, I don't know what your definition is...

Alaska is embarking on the same programme in the 'States. We are working together in many aspects of the programme. Their programme revolved around the HUD in the old 727 when they flew it, ours revolves around the Smith's FMS in the Boeing 737 NG.

Alaska now flies RNP approaches into Palm Springs, Juneau and several other airports in Alaska with their 737NG's. We fly to many more cities using the RNP approach and have the unique ability to acquire more data and experience in a shorter period of time.

"I've seen Westjet's RNP approach plates for Kelowna, and it's fargin amazing."
It's just as amazing to use in our day to day operation.

World's first to use RNP .1 Navigation

Last edited by Slapshot; 9th Dec 2005 at 22:25.