PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Absolute min vis for departures?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2005, 09:30
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolute min vis for departures?

There is the 1800m for IMC Rated pilots, under IFR, applicable to the UK only.

The same pilot (IMCR or IR) could depart "VFR" down to 1500m, which is quite funny because it's better than the above.

I read somewhere that there is NO minimum vis for IR pilots departing IFR (private flight, obviously). Is this true, for both G and N?

Also, is there a min vis for approaches, if no RVR is published for the airfield?

I know that airfields in CAS (Class D typically, and in Europe they will normally have full ATC) have written down departure limits for this; typically the min cloudbase is 1000-1500ft for a VFR departure. Presumably the RVR will apply to both departures and arrivals, VFR or IFR, no?

I am not referring to rules for N and within the USA.

One probably should know all this, but visibility isn't normally an issue. It's the cloudbase that normally gets you. Only once in several years did I have to wait for ATC to tell me the vis was above 1800m before I could go, under the IMCR privileges.

I recall an occassion, when I was doing the FAA PPL (in the UK) when I asked the examiner what the minima for the checkride were. He jumped on me straight away, but in the end neither myself nor the CFII instructor could find anything in the FAR/AIM for the airfield, which was in Class G. There was a 1000ft min cloudbase for Class D, but as I say above one would expect a min cloudbase for VFR ops at a towered field anyway.

(This question is another FAA/CAA rules mixture )