PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you enjoy about being part of the helicopter industry?
Old 9th Dec 2005, 05:55
rotorfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although being a 25-year plank jock, I've only amassed 95 rotor hours, so I obviously don't do this for work. So, why is rotor flight so great?

That intro flight was like the first time I EVER flew. What excitement! Right after landing, I ask the instructor how soon we can go again.

Spending obscene sums of money to do this for mere pleasure, with scant hope of ever getting paid to fly helis. But, it's the most fun I've had for my aircraft-rental dollars. I never totalled the bills because I didn't want to know!

The exhilaration of being in command of a machine that simply wouldn't stay in the air without my guidance, yet being anxious about how well I would handle a tail rotor failure.

Giving someone their first magic-carpet ride... My son saying "this is cool!" when I've only hover-taxied the first 10 feet of our flight.

So, it's said to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Well, if I had to choose between an hour behind the cyclic, or an hour with the missus in the sack..... Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.