PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American "Flying" Mag.
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2001, 10:12
V1OOPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLYING (US) has had an internet presence of sorts through a long relationship with AOL.

Nice to know it's site is more freely available to all now.

Australian Aviation is a better read for news - obviously local, but rarely has a technique / airmanship / procedural article. Some of (US) FLYING's columnists have been very interesting over the years. Peter Garrison still writes a very entertaining technical piece, Gordon 'Hayseed' Baxter wrote about life with feet on the dash and one arm out the window - and I miss Len Morgan!

As for the price of an issue in Oz - newsagents prices for all air freighted US (and UK) magazines is so ridiculously high that it precludes buying one unless there's a serious read in there. However, the annoying little subscription cards that fall out of a newsagents issue do offer a good deal.

There was a 3 year subscription available for about A$80 (well, it was that in 2000AD) and that's a considerable saving on about 36 x $10 on individual copies via the local newsagent.

Compared to an annual subscription to local mags, there seems to be little incentive to subscribe to an Australian magazine. My only local subscription to a PC magazine saved me a few cents a copy and ensured it arrived 2 weeks after I spotted if the newsagent. I cancelled it the same year.

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: V1OOPS ]