PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Next Wave of Boat People…?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2001, 07:59
Spad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's get back to Wiley's original question: what do you think the goverment will do if a boatload of ex-extremist Taliban soldiers with no papers turns up sometime in the not too distant future?

I don't care what their religion is, Christian, Muslim, or even agnostic, most Australian citizens, including (maybe especially) those originally from the Middle East, would find these people to be clearly undesirable as migrants, legal or illegal.

Maybe it's time Australian politicians planned ahead for such a contingency and wrote a few escape clauses into the treaties we are signatories to, treaties that are clearly being abused by the curren (and past) waves of illegal immigrants.

Personaly, I think it's time the politicians began insisting on one of the other clauses in the treaty in question - that the escapees should have declared themselves as refugees in the country they landed in first after making their escape, and not be allowed to ress on until the found one with a lifestyle and social secruity system, (to say nothing of human rights lawyers) to their liking.

Anyone ever wonder who pays the wages of these 'human rights' lawyers? I suspect it's the long-sufering taxpayer through the legal aid system. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong.