PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mythbusters Aus Style
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2005, 01:13
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The story goes that the aircraft that was formated on was a DCA F27 that was heading for DN. The aircraft that did the formating was a P 51D. The time would have been early to mid 1960s. It was supposed to have happened somewhere near the Qld/NT border.

I have met the person who claimed to be the pilot of the P 51. He certainly owned one (in fact two of them) before they were legal to own (let alone fly). They were kept on one of his rural properties near where the formating incident happened.

The aircraft that did the formating was the one in which Donald Busch (sp?) died whilst doing a flypast at the opening of an airstrip in Victoria. I saw the second aircraft in 1971 at the owners property in NSW. At the time it was in the process of being sold and was not airworthy but still capable of some fabulous ground runs. It was the first time I had ever heard a Merlin engine (albeit built by Packard).

The said owner is dead now but enjoyed his aviation to the fullest whilst being the owner of a number of highly desirable aircraft. He became well known in yachting circles as well as aviation.