PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "standard Speeds"
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2005, 18:04
ukatco_535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brownstar,

I can honestly say there is not a day goes by that I do not see A/C entering my sector above 300 kts - which should be coordinated. However that is an issue that will hopefully be resolved when we get to Swanwick, and the commuinication between the 2 sets of controllers improves.

As for the SIDs, unless we need you to be able to execute a sharp turn at some point (for instance on a LAM departure from EGKK) we will take off the speed restriction 'cos it gets rid of you quicker(!) - unless of course there is an A340 ahead.

With STARS, we do realise that you are trying to help, and I have had many a helpful pilot remind me they are doing 290kts or whatever when I am busy (thanks, it helps).

If it is obvious to me that if you 'bend the wings off' you will get in ahead of other traffic, I will instruct you to fly high speed 'at your discretion' - ('discretion' used as I do not know the individual company SOPs etc).

If it is not obvious what the approach controllers stream will be, but the A/C are not holding, then I will quite often say 'fly standard speeds'.

If it is obvious you will hold; I will slow you down as soon as I can, subject other traffic.