PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We should ask for more money
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2005, 09:14
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like fairly reasonable money for a doctor to me! By the way, 80 hours weeks for doctors are now banned by the EU, hence the shortage. All the talk about working whole weekends with an hours sleep and doing hand to hand combat with drunken patients is a bit like talking about the heroic pilots wrestling with the controls. Sounds good and makes great TV but the reality is rather more mundane, as a doctor I know told me when he was working at A&E in a well known televised hospital in a rough part of the north.

ukatco
Why should I get paid a hell of a lot less than an FO or captain when my job is infinitely more challenging and carries similar risks
Guilty of a little exaggeration there perhaps? Infinitely more challenging? Which part of your desk is in coffin corner for half the day?

When I sit in the seat to control, I work continuously on most occasions, though admittedly, it can be quiet some times and the pressure is not as high.
Seems deathly quiet when I pass through Europe at 2am. I presume the UK is much the same. Anyway I was told you have a break every two hours at LTMA.

Next time you are flying, sit back and take a look at what you actually do for most of the flight - monitor the Ts and Ps.
The voice of wisdom from a man who has clearly never flown in Africa or the Indian sub-continent.