PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 23:54
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Steveo,

I worked for Airlink until 10 yrs ago (correction 11+ )...pre volcano and after volcano kicked us out of Rabaul...then got into Air Niugini...before Airlink worked for Talair until it closed shop and Chimbu Aviation was my first aviation job.

All scary stories true...as are all the funny, sad, bizarre and happy ones.

PNG is what you make it...you will do lots of multi engine turbine flying and get a quick command if you're not a dick-hd...the flying is unbeatable ANYWHERE and will serve you in good sted wherever you go afterwards.

Great scuba diving....actually 'world beating' would be a better descriptor.

Cold beer.

Seciurity problems vary around the country but nowhere is anything like as safe as Australia...it, PNG, is the poster child for 'third world country' with all that entails.

AIDS is running out of control there...think Africa.

PNG is a land of extremes....in everything....the bad will break your heart and the good is bloody fantastic.

I spent 13+ yrs there and just loved it...Sharpie spent 40 odd yrs there and I am sure loved it too....I concur with his thoughts on going up for a look around....in fact in my time in PNG there was simply no other way you would get a job in PNG....I don't think there would be more than a handfull of pilots who have been hired based on resume only in the last 40 yrs up there.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 7th Dec 2005 at 03:12.