PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Revision (Ex4. Effects of controls)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 19:36
FanPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi PuntoSaurus and Whirlybird,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it does make sense, I have missed a minor detail off the diagram, "(autorotation)", so yes, I can understand it. I will have to put "instructor notes" with the diagram to explain to myself why I am using it.

I am doing an FI(R) revalidation with Mike Green (shouldn't be a prob, even though I learned under Mike, this is a revalidation not an initial test), I guess not a full revalidation as I haven't had the opportunity to use my skills. This will be just like my original test, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. (I did have a trial run, which I did the Ex 6 (in my last message) which didn't go too well).

If you are still FI(R), then if it is not for full FI, it should be very similar to your original test.

With your 70 hours, you will surely have had the opportunity to fine tune your notes. This is what I intend to do.

BTW. I read your thread as you were going through the course. You did yours after me and it did bring back memories of my own, though you had the opportunity to fly with another student. I was on me todd (on my own).

I will let you know how I get on. I am hoping to do it in the new year.

Thank you PuntoSaurus. I will take you up on that, and if Whirlybird is also offering, I will take that up as well.

I've now re-written ex 4, 5 and 6. It looks like Ex 7 could be a little awkward. For some reason, I have two sets of different notes. One of them appears to be the air ex. (see below). The other I think I wrote as an exercise in writing lessons while on the course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aim: TO teach the student how to enter and control the helicopter at a given airspeed and rotor RPM and recover to climb.

Airmanship: Hasel. Ground, W/V. Carb Heat, Verbal Warning, Rotor Limitations. 90-110%. Recovery height.

Air Exercise:
See pic 4.

1. Control RRPM
’Needle Lag’
2. Speed Changes.(RRPM)
Increase Speed – RRPM Increase
Decrease Speed – RRPM Decrease
3. Disc Loading (RRPM)
Decrease Disk – Reduction in RRPM
Increase Disk – Increase in RRPM
Turns – Increase in RRPM
4. Turns
(a) 90Deg Turns
(b) 180Deg Turns.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex 7. Basic Autorotations

Aim: To teach how to enter and terminate a successful autorotation.

Airmanship. Lookout. Ts&Ps, HASEL.

On entry, a pitch down due to the horizontal stabiliser at the rear forcing the tail up.

During the autorotation, the airflow will be up through the blades, keeping them spinning.

On recovery, the helicopter will tend to pitch up, which slows the aircraft from an already slow speed. As power is being applied, a fast rate of descent, and slow airspeed, a Vortex Ring could result.

The helicopter flies with an Inflow Roll. That is the tendency for the aircraft to roll slightly to the right. Without power, the roll will be removed. The aircraft will roll to the left, unless corrected.

Entry
Pull on Carb Heat.
Lower the lever fully and close throttle. The tachs will split.
You will notice the helicopter will rotate to the left. Correct this with the right pedal.
Adjust attitude to keep the helicopter speed at around 60kts. This will look like the normal cruise attitude.
Raise collective slightly to keep the Rotor RPMs in the green.

Recovery
About 300 ft before the minimum height for recovery.
Raise lever slightly to bring the needles together. Open throttle gently.
When needles join, then raise the lever and open the throttle until climb power is reached. Watch you don’t overspeed.
Apply forward cyclic to prevent nose pitching up and to maintain climb speed.
Maintain balance and heading with pedals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do these look familiar to anyone or am I totally on the wrong track?

FP.