PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Revision (Ex4. Effects of controls)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 18:05
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fanpilot,

I also did my instructor course with Mike Green. I pretty much agree with puntosaurus. With my original notes in front of me....

For moving the cyclic forward, I have
Nose down attitude
Descend
Speed increase
Yaw left (fin more efficient at higher speed)

The cyclic right trim, governor, carb heat control, and frictions, are simply other controls that you teach the student about, since this lesson is "Effects of Controls".

I have a similar diagram to yours, for explaining the "Further Effects of Collective Lever", ie the freewheel system. Lift, drag etc are the forces acting on the blade. My notes say, " Blade represents rotor disc. Must overcome drag, or blade slows down. So if raise lever, need to open throttle, and vice-versa. If engine stops, blades would stop as can't oppose drag. So lower lever to get rid of drag. Aircraft goes down. Freewheel system between engine and rotor allows you to disengage them. As aircraft descends, air coming up through disc keeps rotors turning, like a windmill. Energy stored in disc can be used to cushion landing."

Does that make sense at all?

I remember asking Mike if he really briefed students like this - the briefing as he did it is about 40 minutes I think. He said he did! Well, I tried to do it, just once. The student was obviously overloaded, and the CFI told me not to do it in that much detail as it confuses people. OTOH, I never got taught about the cyclic right trim as a student, and didn't use it for quite a while as a result.

I reckon you can brief about the main effects of the main controls, then on the way back to the field, take control and explain to the student about the cyclic right trim, carb heat control, etc. That way, you can do it all in one lesson. But I only have 70 hours total instructing time so far, so I'm hardly an expert.

Fanpilot, who are you doing the revalidation with? And would you let me know how it goes and what you have to do, please! Mine is due in April, and I'm starting to panic about it already.