PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballooning on landing
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 15:38
funfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about 'brain overload'?
I must come clean here and admit that I am a PPL with about 260 hours Trained on Cessna, PA28 & PA38 my landings have always been my pride and joy.
Recently bought another aircraft, low wing, fibreglass and a bit of a 'hot ship' with an approach speed of 80 kts. (75 kts over the fence). I find that I can fly it pretty well and can 'nail' the approach speed but I started to balloon on landing. Everyone started giving me suggestions - and I just get worse.
Pride dented, confidence shattered, I had a very experienced instructor to come up with me and demonstrate my embarrasment. He told me "forget what everyone has told you - disengage your brain and land it as if it was any other aircraft". This seemed to work and although I am not yet my old confident self at least I can get it down without too much embarassment.
Analyses seems to indicate that I was actually landing it a bit flat and possible even touching the front wheel first.
Silly thing is that I still fly a PA28 regularly and have no problems with this.
There - I've admitted that I am a crap flyer!