PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Revision (Ex4. Effects of controls)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 12:40
puntosaurus

1. MG made a point about this in my instructor test. His point is that with cyclic forward & no power change the acceleration causes the vertical stabiliser to work harder, which means that you're likely to be holding too much left pedal, hence yaw left. He feels that when you are later teaching straight and level in Ex. 6 this effect outweighs the additional torque reaction due to increased power therefore no net left pedal requirement on acceleration in straight and level.

2. Depends which part of the collective travel you're talking about. Your notes describe governor off behaviour at cruise power setttings, the book is talking about lifting the collective from flat pitch on the ground. The difference between the two is due to the imperfect correlation.

3. The purpose of the further effects of lever & throttle section (gov off) is to show intially the rpm droop as you move below the correlator range, then needle split and rising rpm, and finally lever control of the rpm in auto. The diagram you have described doesn't sound especially helpful in this context, and anyway, extensive aerodynamic lectures are a bit premature for ex 4 - your student will have a head full of bees before you go flying if you labour that.

4. Cyclic right trim is just an opportunity to talk about when you use it, and to set up a demo in the air later.

5. Governor I was taught to leave to the end of the lecture, then you can go through all the items where rpm changed, and show that now rpm is governed and MAP changes as a result.

6. Carb temp - describe use and effects on rpm +/-gov.

7. Low rpm warning - as a lay up for when you cock up the auto demonstration (arf arf !).

My ex 4 also has a heading to cover rotor brake and mixture control for completeness.

Hardest lesson to teach IMHO, usually takes more than one flight, and I'm still not sure that cramming all this stuff in the students head at this stage actually has any benefit (other than insurance liability management !).

HTH

PS FWIW I've taken to doing this brief visually as three columns, primary effects, secondary/further effects, governor effects. eg. the first line across covers primary cyclic (speed & dir) secondary cyclic (airspeed and discloading), and governor swapping MAP changes for RPM changes during the airspeed and discloading demo.

Last edited by puntosaurus; 6th Dec 2005 at 12:51.