PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you enjoy about being part of the helicopter industry?
Old 6th Dec 2005, 11:16
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Flyer et al....Shortshaft is me without the mind altering substances I use.

I neglected in the interest of brevity to leave out the other sides of the industry....things like rotten pay, crappy working environment, incompetent management (in most cases), arsehole customers, lousy (in the real and figurative sense) accomodation, high risk, and more than too often bad maintenance standards. Combine that with the hire and fire mentality of some outfits....boom or bust economics...putting everything but the interest of the people out there making the money for them on a daily basis attitudes of some companies....No! Shortshaft just removed his Rose Tinted glasses and described what he saw.

I on the other hand, opted for the High Road....and looked for the things that I found to be my rewards from over 38 years of this.

I have had the honour of knowing some very lovely people, shared some great times with them, have seen beautiful sights, partaken of fine cooking, consumed way too much fine beer, wine, and whiskey. The flying has been rewarding to each of us in different ways...but it does not mean it has been Nirvana.

Would I do it again.....That is a question I refuse to answer.

If I had a Son who told me he was planning to become a Commerical Helicopter pilot, my response would be simply "Gee, I did not know they hired Paraplegics?" When he responded that he was not a Paraplegic....I would tell him "YET!" Then proceed to break both of his legs.