PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Jetstar International News
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2005, 07:46
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's my experience that the 'never again' statement is usually forgotten at the next seat sale. Jetstar - like Easyjet, etc - has a constant stream of people wanting to fly them because it suits their budget, needs, etc. They have a market, and they fill the seats. It's a very different world from a decade ago, where service and product were EVERYTHING.

Whilst the whole LCC thing has been done to a small extent with UK charter carriers and the like (with the exception of complimentary meals, etc), it's the 'pay for food, etc' concept on long haul flights that has me REALLY worried - particularly as Australians haven't been exposed to anything like it before. Jetstar domestic was a BIG adjustment...can you imagine it on a 10 hour flight?

The idea for extending the pay as you go service to International comes from the school of thought that 'well, not everyone wants to eat on a flight. If they want to eat, they can buy a meal'. Suffice to say, there won't be a meal for each passenger as this would create a great deal of wastage. Oh no...on a flight of 300 odd pax, expect about 120 meals to be loaded thereabouts. Bad luck if everyone wants to eat - particularly at airports with bad/mediocre food facilities at odd times of the day/night.

If anything, I hope they at least provide comp food/meals. Not that I'm an airline food freak, but I can see big problems afoot...