PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jan Smuts ... JHB Int ... ? Ekurhuleni Int ? Oliver Tambo Int ?
Old 6th Dec 2005, 07:44
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I’ve done my bit – at least now if they change it I can moan as much as I like.

Times short – get your say in

Mr Moderator – her name is public and mail is “standard reply” – so I belive posting is within the rules – if I’m wrong = sorry

Dear Stephen
Thanks for your comments, these will be frowarded to the Department of Transport.
Ntombi Mekgwe - Speaker

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:43 AM
To: Ntombi Mekgwe
Subject: Airport name change
I would like to register an objection to the proposed name change.

Whilst I recognise the need to ensure the names of those involved in the struggle are not forgotten I do feel the cost involved could be better utilised - I belive Mr Tambo would have preferred the funds to be utilised to better the lives of his fellow countrymen, maybe in the form of sports and cultural / community centres which could then carry his name.

In addition to this I feel it will cause confusion to those overseas - I travel quite frequently and have found few know Johannesburg International is called "Jan Smuts", everyone simply calls it Johannesburg International or JoBurg and no matter what it is called most foreigners will continue calling it Johannesburg International - making a name change not cost efficient unless backed with an even more expensive "publicity and education programme".

Best Regards