PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you enjoy about being part of the helicopter industry?
Old 6th Dec 2005, 03:18
SHortshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I enjoy being part of the helicopter industry? Ummmmm… Good question Ned-Air2Air!!!

Sadly I have come to the conclusion after nearly 40 years in vertical flight that the answer is “not a lot”. I have read all the previous posts and yes I recall that feeling but not very recently.

I fear that it might take less time than it took me for the new generation that ‘wishtobeflying’ represents to become disillusioned. It won’t be that long before he / she realizes that as quick as the aid is taken into a stricken site there are people carrying it out to sell on the black market; that all the hilltops have been fitted with a radio tower; and that there is no longer a need to haul logs down mountains because all the jungles and forests have been stripped bare. Sure it could be a whole lot worse, and it will probably happen sooner than you think.

The people? Well as someone once said there are three kinds of people in helicopters, mercenaries, missionaries and misfits. I guess I have now grown into the latter category.

There used to be a time when it was fun, but I think those days have long gone in most areas. Perhaps it is me and it is time that I got a real job and started flying for fun? Perhaps that is what keeps Mr. Lappos and alike so positive.

Maybe it is because I am no longer getting enough good flying, or enough of anything except the bureaucracy and bull of modern aviation. This environment where you are no longer able to do something unless the regulations say that you can, and the “An aircraft shall not fly unless…” mentality, is the death of the industry by a thousand cuts.

Don’t send me a calendar... send me a couple of doses of whatever SASless is on!!!

Last edited by SHortshaft; 6th Dec 2005 at 11:36.