PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cd Player hook-up
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2005, 14:56
l_reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have spent way too much time in a small plane (2000+hours) alone listening to only the controller and other traffic. I work as an oblique aerial photographer and now use my own plane. My solution to the overwhelming lack of music was to use what I had on board on a long commute (yes I did this in the air while flying)

1. Take an old PTT button and cut off the wire about 6” from the male plug and strip the three wires. Plug it in and check witch wire will key the transmitter when touched to the black wire. Cut off and tape THAT wire.
2. Using a the male end of a headphone wire (as long as possible) from your portable cd/mp3/fm player. Strip the wires (4) and wire them into mono (colored + wires together and - black wires together).
3. Unplug the PTT wire from the aircraft and connect the black (-) wires from both cords together and tape them. Do the same with the positive (+) wires.
4. Now using your new patch cord you can plug one end into the empty passenger’s microphone jack and the other into your cd/mp3/fm radio.
5. Turn on the music and adjust the volume so that it’s quieter then ATC or other traffic on the COM radio.
By setting your music up to play this way you can bring it from plane to plane and it only costs a few $$. Your mp3 player will be just like a passenger that never shuts up and can be silenced the same ways (un-plug or pilot isolation switch). For myself I use foam earplugs inside my DC-13.4’s for a few reasons static being one of them.

Happy trails.
Patrick

Last edited by l_reason; 5th Dec 2005 at 21:22.