PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAI graduates/Offshore pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2005, 11:33
bigglesbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to try and keep this short as I dont want to get into an argument.

Splodge, the only thing I would say about this

Be aware that many North Sea operators are expecting you to get your own IR now so if you can budget for that from the start then it will improve your chances immeasurably.
Is that they PREFER you to have the IR, as it saves them money. They will still train the right cadidate.

cl12pv2s
Too many people think that a job at HAI is a given right. IT IS NOT. You have to work for it, and deserve the job. Even if you work hard, there are many other pilots looking for that same position too. You have to stand out above the rest. The best way is to be absolutely sound on your ground knowledge, humble in your flying, dress well, and be respectful. Splodge has some good advice above too. You have to be the sort of pilot / person that the boss is looking for. That's life in the industry I'm afraid.
Your assuming I didnt, wasnt etc etc. I was in the CAA ground school so knew the subjects fairly well seeing as I only resat one exam, missed the mark by 2%. I was dressed in black and whites with neatly pressed shirts every day. And I learnt a lot from all my flying instructors, I am not a cocky student. It was also hinted to me that once they moved to FL they would be looking for staff, I did the move, spent more money flying and renting their aircraft but still left anyway.

I agree they MUST choose the right staff, but there is also a lot of politics in such a large school. Maybe I would have been better in a homely type school as Albatross says. Anyway I am where I want to be now so it worked out best for me. My point was they dont always take on all their students, and despite qualifications they choose who they want.

Oh and BTW there was ANOTHER CAA student just after me that had the same. And he was older, MUCH more mature than me. I admit I was a bit young mentally at the time, but thats natural.

Anyway I dont wish to argue about this, as ever unless you were there at the time its hard to understand the whole picture. HAI is a GREAT school, and I cannot say enough good things about the JAA Instructors.