PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAI graduates/Offshore pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2005, 03:42
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an observation...

Whenever Helicopter Adventures gets a mention in this forum, it always amuses me at the posts from those who seem to have some chip on their shoulder! If you didn't get hired, rather than blame the school, why not take a look in the mirror and ask yourself, why didn't I get hired?

Albatross, why do you have so much distrust of Ferret's post? OK, grammatically it wasn't the best, but dishonest I don't think so. After the introduction, he clearly says that HAI does not promise jobs. What more do you want? Also, I don't understand your dig regarding his mention of the school notice board either! And your dig about the HAI connections in Europe couldn't be further from the truth.

Bigglesbutler
I have to agree with Ablatros a bit, HAI do pick and choose their staff.
What is this?! Of course they pick and choose their staff....isn't that their right? I'd be more worried about a school that didn't pick and choose their staff.

Folks, I have said this before and I'll say it again.

Too many people think that a job at HAI is a given right. IT IS NOT. You have to work for it, and deserve the job. Even if you work hard, there are many other pilots looking for that same position too. You have to stand out above the rest. The best way is to be absolutely sound on your ground knowledge, humble in your flying, dress well, and be respectful. Splodge has some good advice above too. You have to be the sort of pilot / person that the boss is looking for. That's life in the industry I'm afraid.

Next, remember that HAI are a business, so treat them like one. They will take your money. That's what businesses do isn't it. They provide your training, and take your money!

Another misconception is that going to the school WILL lead to a job after HAI. Sorry, but again, it's down the student, not the school. HAI is pretty well connected all over the world and of course, would like to see as many of its students going on to bigger and better. But the competition in the industry is something the school can't control. If the companies aren't hiring then there won't be enough jobs...simple as that.

I too have seen many people end up without a job. Most of them I could predict would come to nothing in the helicopter world, either due to pilot proficiency or personality. Of the others, many run out of money. Many just give up (they thought it would be an easy). Some have family commitments etc..etc..etc...How can you blame the school here?

Lastly, overbudget and plan...but don't just have Plan 'A'. Have Plan 'B' and Plan 'C' too.

cl12pv2s