PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Madrid (1st Dec.)
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2005, 15:26
Max Takeoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tees

LTE is normally taken to be a loss of tail rotor authority due to stalling at normal operating RPM's as opposed to PF1's suggestion that the tail rotor lost authority is due to a slowing of the RPM.

If you listen to the sounds in the clip you can clearly hear the slow down as the pilot attempts to climb over the stands overpitching. As the main and tail rotor system (squared) slows down the effect of the tail rotor is lost allowing the aircraft to begin to spin.

Must say that having seen LTE in a 500 when the tail rotor stalls it is the same as removing it from the aircraft and that baby will start to spin pretty damn quick. Loss due to slowing down though is slower to take effect and this is shown in the way the aircraft is only rotating slowly to the right.

Would have to agree with PF1 on this unless of course the pilot had lost power for some reason though did not hear any horns on the inside shot I saw. Still sure it will all come out in the report in due time whoever is right, main thing is all survived to tell the tale.

P.S. just to throw a spanner in the works maybe the pilot was yawing right on purpose to try and increase the main RRPM and clear the stands??? Oh where do I collect my wooden spoon!