PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "standard Speeds"
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2005, 14:04
ukatco_535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an Area controller - Oh yes we do!!

In the London TMA it means hit the SLPs at the standard speed, not the 320kts that you have been thrown to us without coordination. (standing by for incoming!!)

If we are busy, we unfortunately do not alway have time to specify a specific speed if there is no holding, but there are a few a/c arriving from different points for the same airfield.

We do try to give you a speed, i.e. maintian high speed or 220ts if we can and it's obvious but it's not always possible and we do not want to stitch up the approach controller.

If it is obvious that you will get in with no delay, we will keep your speed up, similarly if you are going to hold, we will reduce your speed when we can.

It may not be down in the book as "standard phraseology" but it is less of a mouthful than it could be. Another way of saying it would be "standard speed by the Speed Limit Point"; however if a pilot does not report to us that he is handed over either with a high speed instruction or any other speed instruction/limitation from the previous sector, he or she would be expected to fly the standard, published speeds.

Just the same as unless otherwise instructed, you WILL hold at the appropriate facility... pilots should not sound so surprised when running into LAM or BIG etc that they will have to hold. the majority of pilots are good and will remind you as they approach the hold that they are still at a previous given speed, but I have had some pilots sound almost surprised that they will hold, even when told the delay is 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately I am not just talking about non UK pilots either.

Last edited by ukatco_535; 4th Dec 2005 at 14:22.