PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2005, 12:11
cadaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent post Mazzy. What you have said makes perfect sense and it may even save someones life. I've always been one to learn stuff as thoroughly as I can but the confuser gives you an easy way to learn the answers to the exam.

Looking at the manuals, if you don't understand the theory behind it and only learn the stuff by rote in the confuser could get you into trouble once you have passed your GFT.

Flying towards a CB. Do I turn back or cary on?? Bugger that hill I've just gone round puts me into another that I squeezed past five minutes ago. My alternate destination is blocked by another.

OhMyGod I'm surrounded. There is a clear path to the East and and airfield in that direction about 40nm away, but this puts the wind on the nose and I'll have to climb another 1000ft for clearance safely.

Questions.

What is the W/V on this heading?
What is the Fuel burn for this leg?
Have I enough Fuel to make this diversion?
How long will it take to get there?
What is the safety height for this leg?
How do I call for help if I need to?
Is there a safer route that would take me over less hilly ground in case I need to do a forced landing?
After stressing about all these questions, where am I now.

You've been steadily tracking towards the CB in front of you and you are trying to remember all the stuff that you've been taught and can't visualise what you need to do because you just memorised the Confuser.

After reading some of the stuff on other sections of the forum it makes me wanna learn this stuff as thoroughly as possible.

Listen to this, don't wanna be in his position.
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...ightassist.mp3

Great post Mazzy Won't be long to the GFT now eh m8.