PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shallow Fog - Approach Ban
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2005, 07:44
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought... all this talk about the 1,000 ft "point"... I presume that this has all come in during the last 2-3 years? I worked at Heathrow thousands of times in LVPs and I've seen hundreds of aircraft carrry out missed approaches from below 1,000 ft (and well inside 4 miles) when the RVR has dropped below their minima. Just recently I was told about the pilot of a large private jet asking ATC if he could "have a go" even though the RVR was below his minima. The controller, having already obtained the pilots' minima, emphatically responded with the RVR reading. The response was "roger" and the aircraft continued holding...

Surely, the various rules regarding starting or continuing approaches in poor visibility are framed with safety in mind? It would be a great shame if, under commercial presure, things went back to the "old days" when people were regularly "having a go".. and occasionally ending up strewn down the runway. If the final decision is left to the captain and not based on the RVR system there must always be the temptation to descend that little bit further...........