PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Blindness (merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2000, 13:44
FCL3

Unhappy

Hi Uncle joe's mintballs !

Yes, the CAA-Test was horrible! But I can't guarantee that the NLs didn't change anything by now. Maybe you should try a phonecall. Most of the docs are fine! And maybe the'll tell you more precise information about the test (distance...).

The anomaloscope is a device to test whether you are colour vision defective or not. If you are a CVD the anomaloscope tells you the grade an the "area" of your defect.
It's a very old system. You look through an eyepiece an you see two semicircles with different colour (upper yellow, lower red ore vice versa). And now you have to make both semicircles identical.
But it doesn't give you a real satisfactory answer. The value it put's out varies every time you use this device.

But I don't think that you will ever see this anomaloscope in Soesterberg because they don't use it anymore. If you fail the Ishiharas mostly you have to pass the Holmes-Wright.

In Germany the authorities STILL provide to test by anomaloscope. If the value is larger than 1.3 (NORMAL COLOUR PERCEPTION) you don't get a Class One Medical (even if you have 1.32)!!

And I don't think one is unable to fly an airplane if such a device gives a value of 1.35 or 4.00 or even more!

But the JAA-requirements aren't better!

I'd really like to know what PROFESSIONAL pilots think about colour perception and the actual requirements !! Please answer !!

[This message has been edited by FCL3 (edited 20 July 2000).]