PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone got one of the new Icoms to work with a headset?
Old 3rd Dec 2005, 20:09
windy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this issue may have wider implications:

This thread and those on Flyer made me check my A22E with the ICOM- supplied headset adaptor. I was astonished to discover that the internal mic on the transceiver is NOT muted when the headset adaptor is inserted and the internal PTT is keyed. (The internal speaker IS muted under those conditions)

The headset mic works, but the internal mic. is live as well. So all these years I have been carrying this damn thing for emergencies when if the crunch really came, it would be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, since ATC wouldn't hear a damn thing with the cockpit racket in a PA28.

Why haven't ICOM arranged for the internal mic to be disconnected when the headset adaptor mic lead is inserted?

...and picking up on Flyer threads, this was unaffected by type of headset (DC 13.4 and Sigtronics clone) neither of which have a mono-stereo switching.

So in desperation I picked up the Transair catalogue to look for the alternative ICOM Heaset adaptor WITH built in PTT switch and guess what, there is no such thing!

Would someone - ideally from ICOM - please explain why they do not supply such an important accessory, or even caution users on this important point.

.............or have I missed something?