PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most logbook entries in one month?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2005, 07:56
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Geez it was fun wasn't it? The good old daze!
We had a target on the ski beside the pilot's door that we tried to place on the survey mark and a tape on the ski marked in CM for the offset if needed . Not to mention a tape measure in the cockpit so I could reach out and measure the vertical offset if any. We later also had a theodolite and laser rangfinder mounted on top of the INS so we could put reflectors on survey points we could not land on. Land on the offset spot - operator out the door - pilot does an update - operator takes a shot - pilot inputs the shot - operator jumps back into the front - another update if necessary and off you would go. It is amazing how many fire towers and microwave repeaters are built on top of Survey points.
I liked the Longranger on high skids and skis with a range extender as it climbed outa the holes and accelerated so much faster than a Jetranger. It was surprising how much more ground you could cover with the L vs the the B.
Once the customer saw how much faster we could be with the L he never asked for a B again. Extra speed and fuel made up for the more expensive hourly on the L.
I found the funniest thing about inertial was how you used to scare the customer when you went back to normal flying -
"Can you land us there?"
"Sure" Steep bank into curving approach , pole down, flare , pull , level, thud!"
High recon? Low recon? What's that? We sure got good at confined area landings! LOL
I must have done 6 ot 7 hundred hours of inertial and enjoyed every minute of it. Not to mention cutting pads and setting out targets and fuel caches beforehand. Sometimes in dense bush we had to cut an enroute pad between targets.
Usually great crews to work with and it was never boring.
GPS put an end to it all but it was fun while it lasted.