PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Madrid (1st Dec.)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 13:17
puntosaurus

LTA/LTE has been debated well in other threads such as this. Without taking a position on the actual problem in this case, we've now seen a lot of accidents which start in the high hover, begin with a slide/spin and end up in a heap. For the overpitching/LTA case, several solutions are offered, not getting there in the first place (preferred), milking the collective, shutting the throttle, but whilst all these will help none are likely to prevent a hard landing at the very least.

I wondered if there are any proponents out there for the completely counterintuitive 'chickenhawk' solution, of backing off the power pedal ? I know this is going to make the spin worse to start with, but if you look at the videos, the spins seem to start slowly commencing a vicious circle of increased power requirement as the pilot sticks in pedal. I'm thinking that by doing the opposite you could buy yourself a little extra time to get things back under control in ground effect where the power requirement is lower. I seem to remember a logging video where the pilot started to spin, just let it happen and got things back, so I'm sure it has been done.

I suspect this is highly type specific. I remember comprehensively overpitching an R22 in a high hover during my original training, and there wasn't a hint of LTA, just a rather soggy sinking feeling and an instructor desperately milking the collective prior to a rather hard landing. On the other hand I saw a piston Enstrom trying to take off at Wellesbourne that spun like a dervish under the same circumstances.

Any thoughts ?