PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would make the PERFECT Flying Jacket?
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 08:25
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mart Aviation

I mentioned Mart Aviation earlier. They only have small sizes in stock - the last of a bulk purchase.

These are great jackets. If you dont need anything bigger than a medium, grab one quick. If you find a genuine XL in the UK, please let me know.

BTW - does anybody know the real purpose of the zipper pocket on the sleeve ( in some flying suits too)? Ever wondered what the hell you put in there?

It was designed to hold cigarettes!

Pen pockets - I think these were also designed to hold short wax pencils ( Chinagraphs to you and me) hence the little plastic 'cap' sewn into the bottom of each of the 2 pen holders. These are too narrow for anything wider than the classic biro.

For those who need reading glasses in the cockpit...

I have modded the sleeve zipper pocket to allow my narrow reading glasses tube to fit behind the zipper pocket ie by slitting the thread that joins the pocket to the sleeve. Works a treat.

So... As we dont really need a fag pocket, use fatter pens these days and maybe like to stick our readers somewhere...

The sleeve pocket could be modded accordingly. Its pretty useless as is.

It needs to be deeper, with a top- entry pocket and capable of accomodating standard length pens, thus preventing them snagging on the belts.

Make a modern 'civilian' version of the CWU - in a decent modern fabric and thus more like a casual jacket - and I'll buy one.

As it is, the cheap modern repros currently on the market dont float my boat.

All the best

Hairyplane