PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy Circuit Size
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 23:16
Andy_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I fly from, the circuit size is very dependant on how many others are flying and who they are. On a sunny Sunday you can expect to fly to the next county before turning onto base (and have to adher to ATC's wishes or a rollocking).
[RANT ON]
However, on my recent night qualification I asked for a backtrack (for a full stop landing and next take off) when I was issued my take off clearance and was told call final and basically we will see. As I rotated the guy behind me was also given clearance for circuits, but not one to be bullied I flew the normal circuit I prefer when I am number 1 to land.

I landed, backtracked, taxied to the hold (he wouldn't give me backtrack then immediate) and then declared myself ready. Number 2 was just turning (long) final; by the time he landed I was at 500'.

Why oh why oh why do people take away the safety net of being able to glide to a perfectly good runway? Especially at night? Do they really believe it will never happen to them? Why should I be forced to expose myself to additional risk on those days when bomber circuits are being flown?

I realise we were all students once, but I remember well my instructor cursing at those disappearing into the distance when we were trying to get a practise glide approach in, yet because we had been given number 3 to land couldn't cut in. I was also taught to fly with the runway 3/4 of the way down the wing so we could always get in should the engine fail.
[RANT OVER]