PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy Circuit Size
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 18:33
Speed Twelve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShyTorque

Did my Flying Scholarship at Dundee a long time ago and remember flying downwind virtually over the Fife coast and practically in the Leuchars MATZ (as taught by my instructor at the time).

Years later went back to Tayside to work for them as an instructor myself. First time back in the Dundee circuit I flew it twice as tight as I originally had been taught purely through self-preservation! Lots of water, no LSJ...

B52-sized circuits do my nut in. I used to instruct at Trumpton International and certain instructors would fly so widely spaced when downwind that I asked ATC on a few occasions whether or not the other aircraft was actually remaining in the cct or not. It's difficult having done a cct detail or two with a student on a quiet day when you've been able to get him to position to your liking to then go up with them at busier times and see the aircraft in front begin the radar-vectored cross-country nav that is their crosswind leg! Totally throws your student out...

I instruct for the mil now and do prefer the much punchier oval circuit. The snag with adapting it for civvy flying is that it is tricky to fly accurately with a high-wing aircraft. The runway disappears for a large chunk of the finals turn.

SAS! Have fun when the boys get hold of the Pitts! Pity it's a bit far to commute for part-time work!

ST