PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civvy Circuit Size
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 16:00
dwshimoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I fly there is a particular well known school that seems to demand it's students set up for final 3 -4 miles out. This screws up the circuit for everyone else, and leads to unnecessary orbiting or go-arounds.

I'm led to believe this is because they are all ATPL students, and are therefore taught about stabilising the approach, decision heights, and everything else that is more appropriate to a 737 than a DA20.

When I was learning, I thought the reason for doing circuits was to improve the landings - going at a weekend meant I could get 8 - 10 touch and go's per hour, during the week, when above school was operating, this could be reduced to as little as 4!

I understand why they do it, but it's bloody infuriating, and half the time you have to give prioirty to circuit traffic "ahead" of you that is outside the ATZ! I was taught first turn at 500 agl, then 45 degrees over my shoulder for each of the remaining turns, (with the exception of final obviously) seems to work for most people where I am!