PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA 28-161 Carb heat on the approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 08:30
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting those two articles Lomcovak - very interesting as ss said.

I've noticed, from this thread and from talking to pilots, that British trained pilots tend not to run carb air 'hot' all the time on approach, preferring instead to cycle carb heat on downwind and leave it off for the approach.

The only times I've experienced carb ice is when carb air is set to cold. So why not leave it hot on approach? Nothing I've read in this forum suggests it's bad for modern engines in flight, except in very dusty conditions.

At least one person has commented that, when going around with carb heat applied, he first puts carb air to cold and then applies power. In this country a CPL examiner would have grounds to fail a candidate who, when asked to go around, first put carb heat cold and then applied full power, instead of maximising power as a first action. It's all about minimising further height loss!

On finals we notice a slow drop in rpm, indicative of carburettor icing, Is carb heat going to clear any ice, not at these power settings.
I wonder could you tell us where you read that, or which aircraft you experienced it in Lomcovak? I've had carb ice in a variety of circumstances, including an O360 that was actually below 1000rpm due carb ice with throttle closed, and carb heat fixed the problem within seconds. I think it's quite important that pilots have confidence that carb heat will fix carb ice if applied promptly.

Sorry about the long post...
O8

Last edited by Oktas8; 1st Dec 2005 at 08:49.