PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF or not?
Thread: RAF or not?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 00:32
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of luck and for God's sake don't join the RN!!
Funny you should say that ........

My best friend from years back always was and still is an exceptionally talented pilot. He had a PPL before his driving license (so did I actually!) and aviation was his forte. He applied to the RAF and was refused, so he beat the thousands of applicants and won a place on an airline sponsorship scheme. He is now a Captain earning goodness knows how much. I was always in awe of the cash he had when I would pop over on leave to see him - his flat in Brighton, his various exotic sports cars, the many parties with an abundance of particularly charming hosties etc. You get the idea - a dream lifestyle. However whenever I recounted some of the cheeky flying I had done from the boat (in my oily, smelly, shaky, old helicopter) and some of the places I have been fortunate enough to have been, he always said with a twinge of regret how great it must be (flying in the Navy, from a ship etc). So what I can gather from this tale is that the grass is not always greener, each career path has its merits and its drawbacks and it is up to you to decide what is best for you, and you alone. Use the search function to find other similiar threads or just send Beagle a PM lol

Good Luck

Oggin