PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lose the house to fly, should I?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2005, 18:10
Andy_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One advantage you have, a major one, is that you are single. I wasn't but I am now (and only halfway there!). It gives you the freedom to do as you want, but also to work as hard as you want, without being got at about taking the kids/girlfriend/wife out, or why haven't you done the gardening.
You will need to become VERY selfish with your time and your money. Try not to lose the roof over your head though.

Is it a 2 bedroom house/flat? If it is, then take in a lodger. If it isn't then do as suggested above and take it one step at a time. You will end up a more rounded pilot at the end of it (IMHO), rather than a product of a sausage machine. By working your arse off you could well find that you have paid for the PPL without digging into your reserves. Again, you could probably afford to do the ATPL theory distance learning without touching your reserves. At the same time, you can build a few hours as a reward for completing each module/frame. Again, with the right mindset, you still have not touched your reserves and you still have a roof over your head and some security if it al goes tits up and you don't secure a job at the end of it all.

Once you are at the stage of wanting to take the CPL/ME/IR, then approach your mortgage lender and get the money you need (by this time not much more than £20000) and hey presto - you still have somewhere to live AND some security.

All this just requires a little bit of hard nosed-ness on your part. You are single so you can afford to be selfish for 2 years - just forgoe your social life for the long term gain.

Good luck (from someone doing it the poverty route )