PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie swings his axe
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2005, 15:34
Scottie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The name BALPA was mentioned. Don't flatter yourself.
WW is the most cunning, sharpest and devious you'll find. He'll get a wave of support from the shareholders for this move. You've banned fox huntng in the UK but union hunting is open season now for young willy.
Bearcat, I was on these boards when Rod Eddington appeared on the scene.

All the usual stuff was trotted out "he's going to massacre you", "you're doomed - look what he did at Cathay".

End result he didn't achieve much. Why? Well Cathay although being unionised was in China which didn't have quite the same labour laws.

Willie Walsh got away with what he did at Aer Lingus because it was on the verge of bankruptcy.

BA is the most profitable airline in the world at the moment I think (I'm easyJet) so the case isn't as solid. In addition the unions are in a fairly strong position.

Anyway cost cutting in the short term makes the share price look good and creates an image of a ruthless Willie. But you can't keep cost cutting and he's going to have do some serious work to grow the company which is where more profit can be generated.

He's come in with a reputation and doesn't want to look like a damp squib so he attacking a fat and soft target to look tough.