PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie swings his axe
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2005, 15:04
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flightrider

I don't work for BA, but;
1/ Moving to airport hotels for nightstops instead of usually more expensive in-town hotels which also incur transport costs
All well and good and would make a great saving on hotac and travel costs, but just watch the other areas get impacted by crews not being fit for duty due to lack of sleep......

2/ Getting rid of the various additional allowances in the allowances scheme for silly things like sitting in Central Area for an hour or two between flights. Last time I looked, CSDs were paid £54 for this two-hour wait. Barking mad.
I'm sure allowances are always being pecked away at by successive management, but wholesale cuts without negotiation could be more expensive than the possible cost savings.

3/ Throwing bidline/carmen in the bin
Again, could prove extremely problematic to just 'bin' the things that give lifestyle options. Lose the goodwill factor of 'onside' pilots and just watch the costs spiral with 'offside' pilots. You can't make BA into Ryanair, that's why the lo-co's try to start with a blank sheet of paper. Equally, you can't sustain a working career in the likes of Easy when the pilots feel they have no lifestyle, hence the turnover of pilots. Look at the retraining costs and all of a sudden retention doesn't look quite so expensive.

4/ Crew food
Don't feed 'em and they won't fly. Again, it's one of those areas that most other airlines have been chipping away at already for years. Staff morale comes into it and I refer you to the 'onside'/'offside' comments of a previous answer.

5/ Taking out the chauffer-driven limos for LGW crews to get to the simulator at LHR
Many airlines provide crew transport (and rightly so) if they require you to report at somewhere that is not your normal base. This transport has to be of a certain standard and it is not acceptable to just call the local cab office and get a (possibly) uninsured driver in a car that is not fit to be on the road. Employer's Duty of Care comes into it and I guess you mean a company like Hallmark when you refer to 'chauffer' driven 'limos'? Many companies use them as the cars are half descent quality (Mercs or big Vauxhalls), not exactly 'limos', and the drivers wear a suit, but are not chauffers, just professional taxi drivers.

6/ Tightening up the crew and aircraft scheduling so that the ratio of flying hours to duty hours reduces, i.e. you conduct the 100 flight hours in less duty time and thus earn less duty pay. If combined with binning Carmen rostering, you could probably achieve this quite happily.
Don't think you'll find too many pilots complaining about an efficiency saving like this if it means they spend a little more time at home........

PP